Camfil Farr is a SponsorDownload PDF Posted on
Camfil Farr UK becomes the first Gold Sponsor of Clean Air in London
New campaign to build public understanding of the dangers of indoor air quality, initially in London, with advice for people on protecting themselves and reducing pollution
Camfil Farr in the UK has become the first Gold Sponsor of Clean Air in London (CAL).
Camfil Farr is also supporting a new campaign by CAL to build public understanding of indoor air quality (IAQ), initially in London, with advice for people on protecting themselves (adaptation) and reducing pollution for themselves and others (mitigation).
IAQ can be worse than outdoor (i.e. ambient) air quality (AAQ). Without filters, up to 50% (and much more in some cases) of air pollution found indoors comes from outside. IAQ can be further affected by: tobacco smoke from indoor smoking; combustion (such as gas cooking or candles); water systems, leaks and condensation; and substances emitted from some building materials, furnishings and cleaning agents Note 1. According to the Mayor of London, domestic gas combustion (e.g. from cooking and heating) in turn contributed 22% to ambient air emissions of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) in Greater London in 2008 Note 2. IAQ can be improved by particle filters and/or molecular filters which largely eliminate harmful particles and gases respectively. Today’s European citizens spend – on average – over 90% of their time indoors Note 1.
Camfil Farr and CAL agree that clean air is a human right. The sponsorship is based on mutual respect and is backed by an explicit agreement that CAL can speak without ‘fear or favour’. Camfil Farr has made clear to CAL its commitment to the banning of smoking in buildings.
As part of this sponsorship CAL will provide a minimum number of days of advisory services to Camfil Farr each year. The sponsorship will be disclosed on CAL’s website and further brought to the attention of relevant parties if either CAL or Camfil Farr considers a conflict of interest might be perceived.
Further announcements are expected in coming months.
Bill Wilkinson, Managing Director of Camfil Farr in the UK, said:
“Camfil Farr believes that Clean Air is a human right and so we design high quality filtration solutions that meet the needs of sustainable ventilation by creating the right balance between healthy indoor air and energy savings. We welcome the opportunity to work with Clean Air in London to highlight the issues surrounding indoor air quality, air pollution and its effect on human health.”
Simon Birkett, Founder and Director of Clean Air in London, said:
“It has been marvellous to get to know Camfil Farr with its passion for clean air. With Camfil Farr’s support, CAL is able to launch a much needed and exciting new campaign to warn people of the dangers of poor indoor air quality and press for further legal standards to protect people in public buildings. As Clean Air in London’s first sponsor, Camfil Farr’s financial support will also aid the sustainability of Clean Air in London.”
Bill Wilkinson, Managing Director of Camfil Ltd. Telephone: +44 1706 238 000
Simon Birkett, Founder and Director of Clean Air in London
Email: [email protected]
- EnVIE report for the European Commission titled ‘Co-ordination Action on Indoor Air Quality and Health Effects’ published in February 2009.http://cordis.europa.eu/documents/documentlibrary/126459681EN6.pdf
- Mayor’s Air Quality Strategy (see page 43) http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/Air_Quality_Strategy_v3.pdf
- World Health Organisation guidelines for indoor air quality
Selected pollutants published in 2010:
Dampness and mould published in 2009:
4. Camfil Ltd is the UK subsidiary of Camfil AB which trades as Camfil Farr or the Camfil Farr Group. Camfil Farr is a world leader in the development and production of air filters and clean air solutions. Camfil Farr is also one of the most global air filtration specialists in the world with 23 production units and research and development centres in four countries in the Americas, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region.
Camfil Farr, headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden, has approximately 3,350 employees and sales in the region of SEK 4.6 billion (c. £440 million). International markets account for almost 90% of sales.
The company’s business is to provide customers with sustainable best-in class air filtration products and services within four main segments: Comfort Air; Clean Processes; Power Systems; and Safety and Protection.
With 47 years of experience in air filtration products and solutions, Camfil Farr delivers value to customers all over the world while contributing to something essential to everyone – clean air for health, wellbeing and performance.
5. Clean Air in London is responsible for the Campaign for Clean Air in London which was established in 2006. Its aims include establishing, sponsoring, supporting and/or managing campaigns or other activities with the aim of achieving urgently and sustainably at least World Health Organisation recommended standards of air quality throughout one or more cities.
Further details can be seen at www.cleanair.london